Pages

Tuesday 16 February 2021

My Element!

 If i were a metal element i would like to be Mercury and my symbol is Hg.

My atomic number is 80 which means I have 80 protons in my nucleus and 80 electrons around my nucleus. 

At room temperature, I will be a liquid. 

My melting point is -38.83 °C

My boiling point is 356.7 °C

We don't know who discovered mercury as Mercury or quicksilver has been known since ancient times. Mercury was known to the ancient Chinese, Egyptians, and Hindus and has been found in Egyptian tombs dating back to about 1500 B.C.

I am found in nature as very rarely the pure, liquid metal, but rather within compounds and inorganic salts.

My uses to humans are used to make thermometers, barometers and other scientific instruments. Mercury conducts electricity and is used to make silent, position-dependent switches. Mercury vapor is used in streetlights, fluorescent lamps and advertising signs.

Some interesting things about me are

 Mercury – named after a Roman god known for speed and agility – is a chemical element that has fascinated humans for thousands of years. Mercury is the only metallic element that is liquid under standard conditions. It flows easily and has very high surface tension, so it forms shiny rounded beads.


IMG_20210216_090234.jpg

1 comment:

  1. Well done Lucy this blog is very well written and informative about Mercury! Your facts about Mercury's physical properties are interesting.

    ReplyDelete

Please structure your comments as follows:
Positive - Something done well.
Thoughtful - A sentence to let us know you actually read/watched or listened to what they had to say.
Helpful - Give some ideas for next time or Ask a question you want to know more about.