Pages

Monday 24 July 2017

Antarctic Animals

A couple of weeks ago we went to the antarctic center and since then we have been studying Antarctica. We to pick one of three topics Weather and climate,Animals and explorers I chose animals because I love animals and want to know about animals in Antarctica. A couple of our activities was to make a antarctic food chain and pick one antarctic animal and write a description about that one animal I chose Cape Petrels that is a bird.We also had to make some type of presentation showing how an animal survives in the cold harsh weather. So as my presentation I made a movie and as my animal I did a penguin.
I hope you find what I have been studying interesting.

Cape Petrels 

Frosty flying over the frozen antarctic sea.Cape Petrels is one of the most common antarctic bird and the are also known as the Cape Pigeons.


Cape Petrels are quite long they are 39 cm long and there wingspan is 86 cm. There are a beautiful creature they are brown and white and have cool patterns on their wings.they also have a tail like a fantail. They have a small short black beak but it's really good for hunting for krill.

Cape petrels have a limited feeding because they have to fly to the feeding area and the in full speed go diving into the water to get food.cape petrels get at least 1 minute to get food before they come up for air.Cape petrels feed on krill,small fish and squid.


Cape petrels can also be quite chubby because they have a bit a blubber.blubber keeps them warm so they don’t freeze to death.they also have special feathers and they make the water run right off  them so they don’t have to spend the day cold and wet. They also breed on the rocky areas so that they don't sleep in the cold snow.

I think that Cape petrels are cute and are magic to the world.

Food Chain



Penguin Movie

















2 comments:

  1. Very interesting Lucy - you gave lots of information about the petrels and I liked that you explained the reasons why they don't get too cold. I couldn't see the movie about the penguins??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry had a problem with the iPad I used, it was whakarua's iPad so couldn't upload it :o

      Delete

Please structure your comments as follows:
Positive - Something done well.
Thoughtful - A sentence to let us know you actually read/watched or listened to what they had to say.
Helpful - Give some ideas for next time or Ask a question you want to know more about.