Pages

Saturday 6 January 2018

Journey Through The Time

For four weeks  I am Going to be doing the summer learning journey about the history of New Zealand. This weeks activity's are about the begging. Today is the first day of my journey.

Activity one

For this activity we had to read a text called  Maui and the giant fish then we had to write three interesting facts about Maui and add what other stories we have heard about Maui. For this task I found it easy to find a couple of facts but found it challenging to find a third one.

Interesting facts about Maui

1. I learnt that Maui had always wanted to go fishing with his older brothers.
2. I learnt that Maui wove his fishing line from flax.
3. I learnt that Maui used his blood as bait.

Activity two 

For this activity we had to think that we were sailing thousands of miles on one of the wakas on our way to New Zealand and your writing a letter to one of your friends telling them about our voyage to New Zealand. And also telling them how you feel about moving to a different country. For this activity I found it easy to imagine what it would be like crossing the wild sea but I found it hard to imagine what it would be like leaving home and moving to a different country.


     Dear Emily

     Wow it has been an amazing journey across the sea but I am very tired and  I wish I was back                  home. it is very scary out here the waka has nearly flip a couple of times when we are court up in the storms. I am also very existed but really nervous about going to a different country what if  there are creatures that kill you in the night? I hope you write to me soon.

     From Lucy 



Bonus activity

For this activity we had to watch a video about people racing in wakas as a sport called Waka Ama  and our task was to decide if we would want compete in a Waka Ama one day. For me it was hard to decide if I wanted too or not. But it was really easy to back up my answer either way.


For me it would have to be a no because I would hate it out in a lake, river ,thing going so fast when it could easily tip over in a second. Also it would get so tiring paddling as hard as you can. But on the other hand it would be fun and a great experience.









1 comment:

  1. Hi there Lucy,

    Well done on your first set of activities! I'm Jade F and I am one of the bloggers in your school cluster for the Summer Learning Journey Programme over this summer break!

    I thought your facts that you wrote about Maui was fantastic. I thought it was so brave of Maui to stand up to his brother and even use his own blood as bait for his fishing hook and that he made his fishing line himself. Do you know of any other stories of Maui? I remember the story of Maui and how he slowed down the sun, that's got to be one of my favourite stories about him!

    With your second activity, I thought your letter to your friend Emily was great. I really liked how you mentioned events like how the waka nearly tipped over which is something that could definitely happen on a voyage in a waka! I agree with you on what you said about feeling excited and nervous for arriving in a new land, not knowing what was in store!

    With your bonus activity, I think that was a good response to if you would want to compete in the sport or not. Waka Ama is quite a tough sport that requires a lot of strength and is over the water. It is a good exercise though and would be a great experience. I used to participate in a water sport called dragon boating (which is similar to waka ama) and it was real hard work but it was so much fun!

    Keep up the good work Lucy and I look forward to reading more of your blog!

    Bye for now,
    Jade F :)

    ReplyDelete

Please structure your comments as follows:
Positive - Something done well.
Thoughtful - A sentence to let us know you actually read/watched or listened to what they had to say.
Helpful - Give some ideas for next time or Ask a question you want to know more about.